P&P Barry, is a succession of tobacco emporiums started by Mr. Denis Buckley in the 1880's. Denis eventually had 6 tobacco/ cigar divans (small shops) and in his will left one to each of his five children,Carmel, Marie Knott, Grace, Peggy and Denis, and the sixth, at 64 Patrick St., to his eldest nephew, John Joseph Barry.
John already was a successful Cork businessman with three public houses and a member of Cork city council. In 1919, he added 82 Patrick St., to his businesses. By 1941, John relinquished the business to his daughter, Mary (May). May expanded the tobacco business to include greeting cards and souvenirs and novelties. She retired in the 1970's. Her nephew, Patrick and his wife Phyllis, decided to carry on the business but in Dublin, where they have been trading since 1977. Their son, Michael is now carrying on a family business well into it's second century.